Customs Helpdesk / Declaration Counter:
After immigration, passengers go through the Custom Declaration Counter as the final step before moving towards their boarding gates.
No stamping or baggage check is normally done by customs, however in case of suspicion or as a random routine check, sometimes your
baggage may be examined by customs.
Your walking through the customs is deemed to be a declaration by you that you do not possess any illegal goods or contraband.
There are customs Facilitation counters just after the Immigration area. If in doubt regarding the permissibility of any goods
that you intend to take with you or for answers to any query about any customs procedure, please contact the officer at the customs
Facilitation counter. Here are some points that may be considered when departing from India:
- If you are exporting any high valued item such as jewellery which you would want to import back in to India, you should consider getting
the export certificate from the customs authority so you are not charged custom duty on these items later when you return.
- For export certificate, physical verification of the goods is mandatory.
- For obtaining export certificate in case of jewellery, passengers are required to approach precious cargo customs clearance centre( PCCC)
at Bandra-Kurla complex , Bandra east, Mumbai well in advance before the day of departure. You may contact Deputy/ Assistant Commissioner
(PCCC) at ph no. 02226754000.
- Indian residents can take along with them Indian currency notes not exceeding value of Rs. 25,000/-
- Carrying of currency notes of denominations of Rs.500/- and Rs.2000/- is prohibited to Nepal and Bhutan only Rs.500/- or
smaller denominations is allowed.
- Indian residents going abroad can carry foreign exchange including foreign currency without any limits so long as the same
has been issued by RBI/ authorised foreign exchange dealer.
- Tourists/ NRIs while leaving India are allowed to take with them foreign currency not exceeding an amount brought in by them.
For any further information on customs at departure click here